Sunday, September 15, 2013

First Post


I spent most of my summer in Europe, and was not able to read many books. In all, I read three. Two from the list, and one that my father's friend gave me. I read The Great Gatsby, A Long Walk To Water, and Slam. 
Of the three, I particularly did not like Slam, although it made me laugh a multitude of times. Slam is about a 16 year old skateboarder (or "skater".) in Britain who struggles with family issues, school, and his love life. He has read Tony Hawk's autobiography 50 times and owns a life sized poster of Tony Hawk, in which he hangs in his room. He talks to the poster and in his philosophy, "the poster talks back." Although what really happens is he quotes Tony Hawk's book. As his problems in life escalate, he turns to Tony Hawk for help, who in turn, provides none. He meets a girl, and after a few weeks, she finds she is pregnant. I find it disappointing how the book is practically 'Sixteen and Pregnant,' but am also relieved that a young adult book covers the topic. 
The Great Gatsby, on the other hand, was a more enjoyable read. As a classic, I'm sure many people have heard of or even read the beautifully written title. The book follows the story of a young entrepreneur, Jay Gatsby, during the 1920s leading up to the great stock market crash of 1929. Though, a challenging read, it is worth the time, creating characters you grow to love and hate at the same time. At the end, I was overwhelmed by an oceanic wave of feelings. 
A Long Walk to Water was an eyeopening title that taught me many things the media could not about the past of Saudi Arabia. As the first book I read over the summer, this book has lost it's place in my memory. Although I loved how they incorporated the story of  the Saudi Arabian Lost Boys over the years into the present problems for young girls in Saudi Arabia. 
All in all, I could have read more over the summer, but my excuse is I was in a foreign country for two months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment